News From the Control Tower - 9/8/2021
News from the Control Tower: Our weekly curated list of news stories affecting you and your finances.
This week’s reads include:
1. The Tragedy of America’s Rural Schools
Outdated textbooks, not enough teachers, no ventilation — for millions of kids like Harvey Ellington, the public-education system has failed them their whole lives.
2. A Generation of American Men Give Up on College: ‘I Just Feel Lost’
The number of men enrolled at two- and four-year colleges has fallen behind women by record levels, in a widening education gap across the U.S.
3. Bitcoin Uses More Electricity Than Many Countries. How Is That Possible?
And in the process of simply existing, cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin, one of the most popular, use astonishing amounts of electricity.
4. "The Sustainability Propaganda Got Completely Out of Control"
The Deutsche bank subsidiary DWS claims to be a pioneer in green investment. But is it? DER SPIEGEL spoke with former DWS executive Desiree Fixler, whose accusations against the company have led to an official investigation.
5. Nike’s ‘super shoes’ spark race with Brooks Running and others to outfit the world’s elite runners
Advances in shoe technology are filtering down to sneakers designed for the masses, giving even casual joggers a chance to experience some of the same benefits as elite runners.
Bonus: Researchers Accidentally Discover World's Northernmost Island Due to GPS Error
The new island is named “Qeqertaq Avannarleq” (Greenlandic for “northernmost island”).