News From the Control Tower - 9/28/2022
News from the Control Tower: Our weekly curated list of news stories affecting you and your finances.
This week’s reads include:
1. Excited For Fall Baking? Here’s How to Navigate the Wheat Shortage
Extend your flour supply with these practical tips and easy swaps.
2. ‘If you’re going to build something from scratch, this might be as good a time as in a decade’
In the second episode of our series The Quarterly Interview: Provocations to Ponder, venture capitalist Bill Gurley explains the promise and perils facing start-ups at a moment of economic uncertainty and reveals why hybrid work may be the most interesting technology of all.
3. House becomes 'disaster' for Ontario couple after skipping home inspection
Mushrooms growing in the kitchen, shingle debris raining off the roof and a toilet sinking into rotting foundation.
4. The world’s largest carbon removal project yet is headed for Wyoming
Massive endeavors to pull CO2 out of the air are starting to get off the ground in the US
5. 5 Reasons You Need to Take a Vacation, According to Science (Video)
Bonus: Scientists have calculated how many ants are on Earth. The number is so big it’s ‘unimaginable.’
A new estimate for the sheer number of ants on Earth comes to an “unimaginable” sum, one researcher said. For every person, there are about 2.5 million ants.