News From the Control Tower - 9/22/2021
News from the Control Tower: Our weekly curated list of news stories affecting you and your finances.
This week’s reads include:
1. Here’s why the Evergrande crisis is not China’s ‘Lehman moment’
Worries about highly indebted property developer China Evergrande’s ability to pay interest on its U.S. dollar-denominated bonds have prompted comparisons to the collapse of Lehman Brothers in 2008 and the subsequent financial crisis.
2. A Pandemic Space Race: Self-Storage Roars Back
Occupancy rates and rents are at record highs, drawing investors and entrepreneurs looking for growth opportunities.
3. The Unconventional Weapon Against Future Wildfires: Goats
Ms. Malmberg, 64, is a goat herder and a pioneer in using the animals to restore fire-ravaged lands to greener pastures and make them less prone to the spread of blazes.
4. Ben Dugan Works for CVS. His Job Is Battling a $45 Billion Crime Spree.
Retailers are spending millions to combat organized rings that steal from their stores in bulk and peddle goods online, often on Amazon
5. Scientists created the world's whitest paint. It could eliminate the need for air conditioning.
The paint reflects 98.1% of solar radiation while also emitting infrared heat.
6. The pandemic has created a nation of insomniacs
Why we still can’t sleep, and what to do about it.
Bonus: The Gravity-Defying Mail Jumpers of Lake Geneva
Yes, sometimes they fall in the drink.