News From the Control Tower - 9/1/2022
News from the Control Tower: Our weekly curated list of news stories affecting you and your finances.
This week’s reads include:
1. This Remote Mine Could Foretell the Future of America’s Electric Car Industry
Hiding a thousand feet below the earth’s surface in this patch of northern Minnesota wetlands are ancient mineral deposits that some view as critical to fueling America’s clean energy future.
2. First ship carrying grain from Ukraine docks on Horn of Africa
Food experts say shipment is drop in bucket for drought-hit Somalia, Kenya and Ethiopia but hope supplies pick up.
3. How Quitting a Job Changed My Personal Finances
We asked people who quit their jobs during the “Great Resignation” what sort of financial challenges it brought. This is what they told us.
4. The Most In-Demand Investment Might Be Your Baseball Card Collection
Trading cards and other sports memorabilia have been selling for record prices as some see them as an asset or a hedge against inflation.
5. Powell warns of ‘some pain’ ahead as the Fed fights to bring down inflation
Fed Chairman Jerome Powell on Friday pledged that the central bank will “use our tools forcefully” to attack inflation that is still running near its highest level in more than 40 years.
Bonus: Man in giant pumpkin paddles 38 miles to set world record
This Nebraska resident set a record for paddling in a giant hollowed-out pumpkin, going down the Missouri river for 38 miles.