News From the Control Tower - 9/1/2021
News from the Control Tower: Our weekly curated list of news stories affecting you and your finances.
This week’s reads include:
1. States That Cut Unemployment Benefits Saw Limited Impact on Job Growth
Half of U.S. states ended enhanced unemployment insurance payments early ahead of nationwide termination of benefits for millions of people
2. Flight Attendants’ Hellish Summer: ‘I Don’t Even Feel Like a Human’
For cabin crews, the peak travel season has turned into a chronic battle involving frequent delays, overwork and unruly passengers that leaves them feeling battered by the public and the airlines.
3. The staggering, exhausting, invisible costs of caring for America’s elderly
As millions “age in place,” millions more must figure out how to provide their loved ones with increasingly complex care.
4. Top toymakers say their products will be harder to find and more expensive this holiday season
The makers of some of the most popular toys in the United States sounded the alarm this week about the global shipping crisis and labor shortages limiting their ability to keep stores stocked throughout the fall holiday shopping season.
5. Why Intelligent Minds Like Jeff Bezos Embrace the 'Rule of Writing'
Bonus: Shipwrecked: A Shocking Tale of Love, Loss, and Survival in the Deep Blue Sea
A shipwreck survivor still searches for answers nearly 40 years later.