News From the Control Tower - 7/7/2022
News from the Control Tower: Our weekly curated list of news stories affecting you and your finances.
This week’s reads include:
1. Western Move to Choke Russia’s Oil Exports Boomerangs, for Now
With China and India buying the Russian oil shunned by the West in an effort to force an end to the Ukraine invasion, Moscow is earning more now than it did before the war.
2. Glut of Goods at Target, Walmart Is a Boon for Liquidators
Off-price chains are awash in appliances, apparel and outdoor furniture that never made it to stores
3. What to expect from a recession 'everyone' sees coming
And if so many people believe that a recession is inevitable does that make it, well, inevitable? Or does it mean that a recession won’t occur?
4. Cost of Owning a Home Surges Above the Cost of Renting One
A new report shows that having a mortgage is far more expensive than having a lease, a disparity that is helping to cool a red-hot housing market.
5. Travel is Getting More Expensive. Here's How to Save on Your Summer Trip
From buying flight tickets to booking a hotel room, travel isn't cheap. Here are 6 tips to help you spend less on your summer getaway.
6. How to Peek at Your 401(k) Without Freaking Out
Checking balances too frequently when markets decline can lead to some bad decisions—and more losses over time
The Rise of #Gentleminions: Why Gen-Z Is Wearing Suits to See ‘Minions: The Rise of Gru’