News From the Control Tower - 6/8/2022
News from the Control Tower: Our weekly curated list of news stories affecting you and your finances.
This week’s reads include:
1. Nearly half of families with kids can no longer afford enough food 5 months after child tax credit ended
In addition to the increased costs of food, families are noticing rising prices of gasoline, child care and rent due to inflation, the survey showed.
2. As Food Shortages Loom, a Race to Free Ukraine’s Stranded Grain
An operation to bring grain out from Ukraine through Lithuania, with considerable political hurdles, is just one option being considered amid warnings of mass starvation around the world.
3. In Older Americans, Rising Debt May Adversely Affect Health
Research shows that debt has risen among older people, and those who owe are more likely to have multiple diagnosed illnesses.
4. The Potential Dark Side of a White-Hot Labor Market
The strong job market may be about to take a turn for the worse. That could come to haunt those who made choices based on today’s conditions.
5. First she documented the alt-right. Now she’s coming for crypto.
Molly White, a veteran Wikipedia editor, is fast becoming the cryptocurrency world’s biggest critic
Bonus: “Looks of barbecue sauce. Smells of death.”
Food history comes to life—often regrettably—in TikToks from B. Dylan Hollis, who’s baking Depression-era recipes such as the “ration cake”—the main ingredient of which is raisins.