News From the Control Tower - 6/15/2022
News from the Control Tower: Our weekly curated list of news stories affecting you and your finances.
This week’s reads include:
1. Got Losses on Stocks, Bonds or Crypto? Let Uncle Sam Share Your Pain
It’s been a brutal year for markets. The good news: Selling your losers can pay off at tax time. Here’s what to know about tax-loss harvesting.
2. European Central Bank says it will raise interest rates for the first time in 11 years in July.
After a decade of low inflation, the bank is facing the highest rate of price increases since the creation of the euro currency.
3. Amid Charges of Greenwashing, Sustainable-Investment Industry Attempts to Reassure Investors
Critics highlight confusion around terms, demonstrating the need to clarify and identify greenwashing.
4. Tech investors are prizing cash generation again
As the era of cheap money ends, a company’s ability to generate cash is back in fashion
5. Russia's rebranded McDonald's calls itself 'Delicious, that's all'
Last month, the company announced that Alexander Govor, a Siberian coal baron who had previously licensed 25 McDonald's franchises, would acquire the rest of its 850 Russian locations and operate them under a new brand.
Bonus: Nobel Endeavors
Nobel Prize-winning scientists describe something from their field of study they’ve never fully grasped.