News From the Control Tower - 5/20/21
News from the Control Tower: Our weekly curated list of news stories affecting you and your finances.
This week’s reads include:
1. The myth of the rising tide
Economic growth doesn’t guarantee economic inclusion, but ensuring inclusion can lead to growth
2. He’s a Dogecoin Millionaire. And He’s Not Selling.
Glauber Contessoto went looking for something that could change his fortunes overnight. He found it in a joke cryptocurrency.
3. What is DARKSIDE, the cybercriminal ransomware group that has the world on alert?
On May 7, 2021, a ransomware attack violated Colonial Pipeline, one of the most important oil pipeline companies in the United States.
4. The Rise Of The Appuccino: How TikTok Is Changing Starbucks
Viral (and complicated!) custom drinks are the future of Starbucks, where iced drinks now outsell hot coffee.
5. U.S. SEC chair planning new workforce data disclosures for public companies
The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) plans to propose a rule requiring that public companies disclose a range of workforce data as the agency steps up environmental, social and governance (ESG) disclosures, its new chair, Gary Gensler, said on Thursday.
Bonus: Meet the mystery woman who mastered IBM’s 5,400-character Chinese typewriter
Lois Lew operated the improbable, ill-fated machine with aplomb in presentations from Manhattan to Shanghai. 70-plus years later, she’s telling her story.