News From the Control Tower - 4/27/2022
News from the Control Tower: Our weekly curated list of news stories affecting you and your finances.
This week’s reads include:
1. EU weighs cap on price paid for Russian oil as way to hit Kremlin revenues
Germany and other countries reluctant to follow US with immediate embargo on crude imports from Moscow
2. As Europe Approves New Tech Laws, the U.S. Falls Further Behind
Federal privacy bills, security legislation and antitrust laws to address the power of the tech giants have all failed to advance in Congress, despite hand wringing and shows of bipartisan support.
3. Apple spent more than it ever has on lobbying as antitrust threats loom
Apple spent a record $2.5 million lobbying Congress in the first quarter of 2022.
4. How Crypto Is Failing Spectacularly to Greenwash Itself
Supporters say Bitcoin and other digital currencies can help solve climate change. But in reality, crypto has morphed into yet another money-making scheme.
5. The multiplier of the United States’ largest scholarship program
Pell Grants are an astonishingly good investment for the government.
Bonus: ‘That’s it? It’s over? I was 30. What a brutal business’: pop stars on life after the spotlight moves on
Musicians from Bob Geldof to Robbie Williams and Lisa Maffia reveal what they did – and how they felt – after the hits dried up and the crowds vanished