News From the Control Tower - 2/9/2022
News from the Control Tower: Our weekly curated list of news stories affecting you and your finances.
This week’s reads include:
1. In Covid-19 Housing Market, the Middle Class Is Getting Priced Out
Surging demand and shrinking supply combine to make home buying more difficult, as affordability worsens for many
2. Is This What Winning Looks Like?
Modern Monetary Theory, the buzziest economic idea in decades, got a pandemic tryout of sorts. Now inflation is testing its limits.
3. How We Broke the Supply Chain
Rampant outsourcing, financialization, monopolization, deregulation, and just-in-time logistics are the culprits.
4. What Germany’s Effort to Leave Coal Behind Can Teach the U.S.
The German government agreed to a commitment to transition away from the fossil fuel for environmental reasons. But the obstacles are steep.
5. TurboTax will let users deposit tax refunds into crypto accounts.
The software company has teamed up with Coinbase to allow users the option to convert their state and federal tax refunds into cryptocurrency.
Bonus: When Turtles Fly
A massive human-assisted migration lands stranded sea turtles back in warmer seas.