News From the Control Tower - 1/28/2021
News from the Control Tower: Our weekly curated list of news stories affecting you and your finances.
This week’s reads include:
1. What the Hell Is Going On With GameStop’s Stock?
How an army of Reddit users massively inflated the price of a flailing video game chain—in no small part to stick it to Wall Street.
2. China is rehearsing for when it overtakes America
US-China tech rivalry will likely continue under Biden presidency. Here's why
3. ‘Hundreds of billions’ needs to move to firms combating carbon emissions, Standard Chartered CEO says
The group aims to build a voluntary carbon market to enable corporations to reach net zero emissions,
4. Walgreens taps Starbucks operating chief Roz Brewer as its next CEO
Brewer will be the only Black woman leading a Fortune 500 company.
5. When SPACs Attack! A New Force Is Invading Wall Street.
‘Blank check’ firms known as SPACs are in pursuit of America’s hottest startups. Is the invasion a sign of a market euphoria that can’t last?