News From the Control Tower - 11/8/2022
News from the Control Tower: Our weekly curated list of news stories affecting you and your finances.
This week’s reads include:
1. Moving In Together Doesn’t Match the Financial Benefits of Marriage, but Why?
Married couples are four times as wealthy as unmarried couples who live together
2. Macy’s Plans to Invest Millions to Fund Minority-Owned Businesses
The department store chain is investing $30 million over five years to support entrepreneurs from underrepresented groups in the retail industry.
3. The Front Trunk Is Electric Cars’ Most Divisive Feature
The “frunk” that comes standard with most electric vehicles is proving the best kind of marketing engine: one that runs on its own.
4. Older, White and Wealthy Home Buyers Are Pushing Others Out of the Market
The share of first-time buyers fell to 26 percent, plummeting to the lowest level in four decades, when a real estate trade association began tracking such data.
5. You Can Thank the Fed for Boosting the $1.5 Billion Powerball Jackpot
Higher interest rates and rising ticket sales are driving the latest jackpot, the third-largest in U.S. history; next drawing is Saturday
Bonus: How permanent standard time could save lives, explained by a sleep expert
“There's extensive research that being on the western edge of a time zone increases the risk of multiple different cancers,” Czeisler says. “A time zone is 15 degrees wide, and every five degrees that an individual lives westward within a time zone increases risk of certain types of cancers in a startlingly high manner.”