News From the Control Tower - 10/11/2022
News from the Control Tower: Our weekly curated list of news stories affecting you and your finances.
This week’s reads include:
1. Retirees are expected to get the biggest Social Security cost-of-living increase in decades.
The cost-of-living adjustment for 2023 is likely to be around 8.7 percent, based on the latest government inflation figures.
2. If Your Co-Workers Are ‘Quiet Quitting,’ Here’s What That Means
Some Gen Z professionals are saying no to hustle culture; ‘I'm not going to go extra’
3. The latest job report offers a glimmer of hope in the fight against inflation
We’re stuck in one of those bizarre moments when good news on Main Street is bad news on Wall Street.
4. How Colleen Hoover Rose to Rule the Best-Seller List
With legions of devoted fans and a knack for high-voltage emotional drama, Hoover has sold more than 20 million books. And she’s done it her way.
5. How to Make Peace With Your Stock Market Losses
For investors, the only thing worse than losing is having to admit that you’re a loser. Here’s how to clean up your portfolio without feeling ashamed.
Bonus: The Ultimate Tiger Mom
In the Indian preserve where she lived, the extraordinarily fecund Collarwali was a boon to her threatened species. She gave birth to nearly 1% of all the tigers now living in India.